Monday, April 30, 2007

Hunger vs. Craving

Hunger vs. craving. I fought this big time when I got home from church today. As I relaxed and settled in for the evening I felt like I was hungry still so I ate a couple of the 100 calorie snacks. About an hour later I thought I was getting hungry again but I refrained because honestly, I wasn't hungry. How did I distinguish? My stomach was not growling. So to fight off the cravings (at about 6 p.m.) I jumped on the Gazelle (see last week's posting) and worked out for about 25 minutes burning roughly 250 calories. That seemed to do the trick but an hour later my stomach growled so I ate another small snack and went to bed about 10:30.

The difference, at least in my mind, between hunger vs. craving, simply put, is the hunger pangs and growling. Easier said than done I know, but for me I'm going to try and listen to my body to determine whether or not I'm hungry or if I'm experiencing cravings. I will try to not respond to the cravings by eating but rather with activity, if feasible and if it's hunger pangs I feel, I'll respond by eating a small snack. We'll see how far this gets me.
Signing off - RD 2.0

No comments: