Friday, April 13, 2007

Dale's Health Stats

Part of my problem is blood pressure so we purchased a machine that will help me monitor my blood pressure. As of this posting my reading was 131/89, which is pre-hypertensive. The ideal is 120/80. So I have some work to do. I also had a recent health screening at the church performed by one of our nurses. My cholesterol and blood sugar was right on par. This will be yet another measure of success I will be monitoring. The SSHE diet minimizes carbs, sugar and sodium. Just minimizing the sodium will help my blood pressure go down.

My BMI (Body Mass Index) is 39.2
BMI Weight Status
Below 18.5 Underweight
18.5 - 24.9 Normal
25.0 - 29.9 Overweight
 30.0 and Above Obese

People who are overweight or obese are at higher risk for chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol.

At a minimum, anyone who is obese should try to avoid gaining additional weight. In addition, anyone who is obese should try to lose weight. Even a small weight loss (just 10% of your current weight) may help lower the risk of disease.

The BMI for a 180 lb. man is 25.8 which is still considered overweight. The ideal weight and BMI for my height? 165 lbs. and a BMI of 23.7. So roughly over 100 lbs. before I reach what doctor's believe to be a healthy weight.

See: http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

RD 2.0

No comments: