Monday, May 14, 2007

Rough Week

Let's call it what it really was - a major flop of a week for the diet! I have to admit, it's not the diet's fault, but with this having been a special occasion weekend (Mother's Day) I went a little, OK, a lot overboard. Here's how it all happened. Beware, this is juicy stuff and may take you, the reader, beyond your caloric intake for the day just reading about it.

Friday
I woke this morning with some promising results on the scale. After a week of up a pound down a pound, I was down about 2 lbs. for the week at 253 I was elated.

Saturday
Elated again, I was down to 252, a 21 lb. total weight loss inside of 5 weeks.

Sunday
Back up to 253, but no worries...I thought.

I neglected to take into account that it being Mother's Day we were inevitably going to be eating out. I did get a little nervous when my dad announced we were meeting at Arby's. I managed to get one of their Martha's Vineyard Salads. This was a delicious salad and I would recommend it, but use the dressing sparingly. It has 13g of fat and didn't require the entire packet of dressing to flavor it up.

That was lunch, then for dinner, Shannon wanted something "nice" to eat in celebration of Mother's Day. So I suggested Bob Evans. This was a good choice but I wasn't real responsible in what I picked out, even though I could have done far worse. I ordered another salad with lo-cal, low fat ranch - didn't use it all. Then had a half of a pot roast sandwich. The bread was soaked with butter and toasted, it had melted cheese and Lord only knows how much fat was in the roast. I have to say however, that every bite was fantastic and flavorful. For some reason the server had brought us an extra baked potato. Not to see it go to waste, but rather to "waist" I downed it with nothing more than salt and pepper. Lots of starch but still lots of flavor.

Shannon decreed that after dinner we were going to the Dairy Queen to get a cone. I couldn't resist! I had a small cone, vanilla/chocolate twist and enjoyed every bite. I may have been fine if I stopped there.

At home, we watched a few programs on the telly and I found myself experiencing what my parents call, "MOUTH HUNGER." I fought it for what seemed like hours but was more than likely only 10 minutes and could fight it no more. I slipped off to the fridge and found 1 container of my Jello. I then moved on to an additional thing of ice-cream, the cream-sicle, I referred to in other postings. Then Shannon had brought back some caramel corn from New York that begged to be eaten. Shannon stopped me but only after I had consumed almost a quarter, maybe half, of the bag.

To my dismay, the scales did not lie this morning (Mon. 5/14). I had gained back what I lost all last week in one day of binging.

In hindsight, I should have gone with my new mantra, don't eat unless you are in fact experiencing hunger pangs. What I was experiencing was far from it. When I look at what I cheated with too; an ice cream bar and some caramel corn, what kind of choices were those? They were so random and unfulfilling that I was left holding the bag, quite literally, this morning as I stepped on the scale. The scale being like a lie detector test. Was I really that bad? No, Rodger, not at all. Surely the scales will be forgiving. As Pinocchio's nose grew longer as he lied, the scales rapidly calculated otherwise...254! 254 from 252 equates to 2 lbs. of lies. The biggest lie I told myself, "you aren't doing much harm at all, keep eating!" Hopefully, next week will go much better.

As an FYI. Rather than waiting to weigh in on Mondays, I am going to weigh in on Fridays or Saturdays. It's far too depressing to weigh yourself on a Monday. Weekends are too unpredictable and you can see what kind of damage I can do in a short time. Am I just trying to fool the scales or myself, probably, but this dieting thing is as much about the physical eating as it is about the mind!

Signing off,
RD 2.0

2 comments:

mjk said...

Good Morning! Your choice of blogname is very good! I like the play on words. ;o)

Familiar with much of what you're saying. I'm a little farther along on the weight loss road, having been at it for over a year now, but I'm finding the infamous thing called a "plateau" is not only boring, but it's an endurance test of sorts. I started off well and have lost 95 pounds from my original weight. But this plateau thing has become an obstacle in its own right.

4 things: 1.) Water is a friend. Calorie-less, beneficial, flushes away the bad and hydrates the good. So drink lots of it!
2.) Whenever possible, seek out & choose high fiber carbs.
3.) Portion control's another key. 4.) You can derail your diet with too frequent weigh-ins. Day-to-day fluctuations are too demoralizing. Once a week is better.

Mizpah Matus said...

Good idea not to weigh on Mondays. I always find the calories creep up a little over the weekend and that can lead to an increase in fluid weight that is far greater than actual weight increase.
You are right - the positive reinforcement of seeing your progress will do you much better in your weight loss path. Keep celebrating your successes, however small they may seem. It looks like you have made some big changes already.